An additional property tax exemption is available for military personnel.
Those who qualify are members who already have a homestead exemption, and who were deployed during the preceding calendar year on active duty outside the continental United States, Alaska, or Hawaii in support of any one of the following conflicts:
- Operation Noble Eagle, which began on September 15, 2001
- Operation Enduring Freedom, which began on October 7, 2001
- Operation Iraqi Freedom, which began on March 19, 2003 and ended December 15, 2011
- Operation New Dawn, which began on September 1, 2010 and ended December 15, 2011
- Operation Odyssey Dawn, which began on March 19, 2011 and ended October 31, 2011
- deployed for ½ year; exemption 50%
- deployed for whole year; exemption 100%
Exemption applies to all county, city, school district, and special district taxes.
A service member’s spouse or designee may file an application on behalf of an eligible service member. Contact the Martin County Property Appraiser’s office at 772-288-5608 prior to September 1, 2011 for filing information.